“Successful execution of diversity initiatives always involves a true commitment by leadership and strong collaboration among team members.”
Frank Scruggs, Diversity Chair
Berger Singerman recognizes the importance of fostering a collaborative culture that attracts, engages, rewards and retains a diverse team of highly talented attorneys. We are dedicated to achieving professional excellence by providing every team member with the necessary tools and support through training, mentorship and development.
Berger Singerman understands that professional success involves far more than financial success, though that surely is important; it involves a sincere and unrelenting dedication to the growth of every team member, including support staff. Our commitment to the inclusion and advancement of women, people of color, and other diverse individuals reflects our culture and our commitment to serving our clients and community.
In addition, we recognize that many of our clients value and require the need for a diverse team on their matters. Berger Singerman endeavors to staff each client matter with the best team possible, which may result in a diverse group of attorneys, including women, people of color and other historically underrepresented members of society that are also members of our firm with the skills and background necessary to deliver the highest level of legal services expected by our clients.
Below is a sampling of our initiatives and honors received by our team members:
- Iryna Ivashchuk is currently a Fellow for the Business Law Section of the Florida Bar’s 2015 Diversity Fellowship Program.
- For many years, the firm has been a major sponsor of the Kozyak Minority Mentoring Picnic in Miami where minority law students are invited to network with judges and lawyers at major firms and companies in South Florida. Berger Singerman also hosts an annual reception for minority law students and judges in Broward County leading up to the Mentoring Picnic.
- In October 2014, Frank Scruggs received the “Heritage and Community Service” award from the Friends of the Broward County African-American Research Library and Cultural Center.
- Don Hayden chairs the Miami Foundation LGBT Community Projects Fund Grant Committee, which has provided over $2 million in grants to the LGBT community organizations in Miami-Dade in recent years and sits on the Board of Directors of Our Fund Foundation, which is one of the largest and rapidly expanding LGBT organization funders in United States with its philanthropic focus with LGBT organizations in Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties.
- In October 2014, Berger Singerman was named “Law Firm of the Year” by the Latin Builder’s Association (LBA). The firm was recognized for its work in helping to shape the real estate and construction sector in Florida, its robust inbound and outbound Latin American and Caribbean practice, and its commitment to giving back to the community. Katherine Amador is currently on the board of the LBA. Javier Vazquez was a former board member. The LBA is the largest Hispanic construction association in the U.S., representing the interests of builders, developers, contractors, architects, engineers, plumbers, electricians and tradesmen in South Florida.
- In 2013, Frank Scruggs was selected for inclusion in ICABA’s (Identify Connect Activate the Black Accomplished) Icon in Law.
- Don Hayden sits on the National Leadership Council of Lambda Legal, one of the leading national organizations committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights for the LGBT community and those with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work.
- Frank Scruggs received The Florida Bar’s “President’s Award of Merit” in June, 2014. At the General Assembly of the convention of The Florida Bar in Orlando, outgoing bar president Eugene Pettis presented Frank Scruggs with the award, generously praising his work as task force chairman for the President’s Special Task Force to Study Enhancement of Diversity in the Judiciary and the Judicial Nominating Commissions.
- Katie Phang is currently the President-Elect for the Miami-Dade Florida Association of Women Lawyers.