Healthcare is the biggest industry in the United States and continues to evolve in our ever-changing political, economic and technological climates. How healthcare entities and professionals adapt can make the difference in the day-to-day and long-term business outlook.
To address the myriad of issues facing the healthcare industry, Berger Singerman’s multidisciplinary Healthcare Industry Practice Group incorporates experienced members from each of our four practice teams: Business, Finance and Tax; Government and Regulatory; Business Reorganization; and Dispute Resolution. The Group’s experiences includes representation of healthcare providers, including hospitals, healthcare clinics, physicians, nursing homes, ambulatory surgical centers, hospices, home health agencies, medical staffing companies, rehabilitation facilities, DME providers and pharmaceutical/biotechnology companies. We also represent long term care living facilities, health insurance providers, managed care companies, and entities seeking advice under Florida’s medical marijuana legislation.
Our distinguished team includes the former General Counsel of Financial Regulation who handled business and professional licensing issues and is Florida Board Certified; the former U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Florida; and an attorney who served as in-house counsel for a large health care system and 557-bed Catholic hospital, represented two large health care systems, including a children’s hospital and a large physician group practice as outside counsel and currently represents the fifth largest healthcare system in the country. Many of our attorneys serve on prestigious healthcare boards where they leverage their extensive legal experience to benefit the medical community.
The Group is well-versed in the following areas:
- Acquisitions, dissolutions and internal disputes of entities/partnerships including tax implications
- Ancillary services contracts
- Complex corporate transactions
- Corporate structure, ownership and governance
- Business licensing
- Professional licensing/disciplinary actions
- Healthcare licensure and certification
- Healthcare finance and investments
- Clinical research agreements
- FDA regulations governing clinical research
- HIPAA compliance, regulatory compliance and cybersecurity
- Employment contracts and litigation
- Real Estate matters, including land use, zoning, and private-public partnerships
- Intellectual property due diligence, licensing and litigation
- Insurance due diligence, claims process and insurance recoveries
- Internal investigations
- Healthcare fraud including Medicare, Stark law and Anti-Kickback Statute and False Claims Act
- White collar defense and director and officer representation
- Qui tam/whistleblower lawsuits
- Dispute resolution