Geoff Lottenberg is a partner in Berger Singerman’s Fort Lauderdale office and a member of the Dispute Resolution Team. Board Certified by The Florida Bar in Intellectual Property Law, Geoff focuses his practice on intellectual property procurement and enforcement, business and technology law, and complex commercial litigation.
Mr. Lottenberg represents clients in connection with Federal and State intellectual property, technology, and complex commercial litigation matters, including bringing and defending claims of patent infringement, trademark infringement, false designation of origin, unfair competition, misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and tortious interference.
Mr. Lottenberg is an experienced registered patent attorney with a background in mechanical engineering. His patent practice concentrates on mechanical, electrical, software, and business method arts. In addition to prosecuting patents before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, Geoff manages large foreign patent portfolios under the Patent Cooperation Treaty. He also regularly renders patentability, validity, infringement, and freedom-to-operate opinions. Mr. Lottenberg handles all aspects of trademark prosecution and procurement including clearance opinions and the preparation and maintenance of Federal and State trademark applications and registrations.
Alongside his lively intellectual property procurement and litigation practice, Mr. Lottenberg negotiates and drafts trademark, copyright, and patent license agreements, assignments, asset transfers, Internet and software-as-a-service terms and conditions, privacy policies, and general business and technology contracts. Geoff also regularly handles corporate intellectual property matters including audits and due diligence in connection with mergers and acquisitions.
Notable Litigation Results:
- Successfully represented a prominent music, comedy, and lifestyle festival organizer against a former consultant that was alleged to have misappropriated company trade secrets and breached non-compete and non-disclosure obligations. Spearheaded an extensive investigation into the defendant’s wrongdoing through extensive digital forensics and electronic discovery.
- Defended aftermarket specialty performance auto parts retailer against claims of trademark infringement and counterfeiting brought by one of the world’s largest automakers. Strategically resolved the matter through a business-minded approach to the ultimate benefit of the client.
- Successfully enforced the brand and trademarks of one of the world’s largest instant noddle companies against egregious trademark and counterfeiting by a close competitor and its United States distributor.
- Obtained final default judgment of trademark infringement and unfair competition against Houston salvage shipper on behalf of a nationwide shipping and logistics company. Successfully orchestrated injunction enforcement raid in collaboration with the U.S. Marshal Service and Houston Police Department.
Wolo Mfg Corp. v. Aftak Corp., 349 F. Supp. 3d 176 (E.D.N.Y. 2018)
Delaware Valley Floral Group, Inc. v. Shaw Rose Nets, LLC, 597 F.3d 1374 (Fed. Cir. 2010)
- U.S. Patent No. 10,294,682 for “Outrigger Debris Netting System”
- U.S. Patent No. 10,240,357 for “Working Deck Netting System and Related Methodology”
- U.S. Patent No. 9,687,025 for “Electronic Pipe”
- U.S. Patent No. 9,538,788 for “Electronic Cigarette”
- U.S. Patent No. 9,122,920 for “Digital Manifold Gauge
- U.S. Patent No. 9,043,161 for “Modular System and Methodology for Testing and Measurement”
- U.S. Patent No. 8,978,394 for “Convertible Refrigerant Recovery, Recycle, and Recharge System”
- U.S. Patent No. 8,186,230 for “System and Method for Airflow Sensing and Monitoring”
- U.S. Patent No. 8,511,856 for “LED Device Having Printable Layer”
- U.S. Patent No. 8,517,466 for “Convertible Boat Seat”
- U.S. Patent No. 8,567,333 for “Protective Boat Rub Rail System”
- U.S. Patent No. 8,628,491 for “Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt Device”
- U.S. Patent No. 8,661,580 for “Patient Positioning Device”
- U.S. Patent No. 8,701,906 for “Ingredient Dispensing Cap for Mixing Beverages with Push-Pull Drinking Spout”
- U.S. Patent No. 8,739,494 for “Composite Concrete and Framing System and Method for Building Construction”
- U.S. Patent No. 8,740,297 for “Seat with Reversible Seat Back”
- U.S. Patent No. 8,768,429 for “Internal Bleeding Detection Apparatus”
- U.S. Patent No. 8,926,154 for “LED Device Having Printable Layer and Retention Feature”
- U.S. Patent No. D716,362 for “Aerodynamic Fairing for Audiovisual Device”
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star Selection 2015-2020
- University of Miami School of Law, Mentor for the Intellectual Property Law Society, 2009-2011
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- International Trademark Association, Member
- Chair, Florida Bar 17th Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee "E"
- Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith, LLP
- Malin, Haley, DiMaggio, & Bowen, P.A.
- Friedland Vining, P.A.
- Lott & Friedland, P.A.