Matthew S. Nelles
Matthew S. Nelles is an intellectual property and commercial litigator who has been trying cases in the U.S. District Courts of Florida for over 25 years. Board Certified by the Florida Bar in Intellectual Property Law, Matt focuses his practice on complex commercial and intellectual property disputes, including patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, and Internet liability cases. He is also a Registered Patent Attorney with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
Matt is a frequent lecturer on various intellectual property topics and a large part of his practice emanates from lawyers outside of Florida whose clients are involved in litigation in the state. To that end, he has successfully represented numerous Fortune 500 companies in IP disputes around the state. He also represents high-profile music entertainers and record companies in copyright and publicity litigation.
In addition to his trial experience, Matt has extensive experience procuring trademarks and copyrights, and drafting licensing agreements for his clients.
Complementing his expertise, Matt also has a broad commercial and business litigation background, including disputes arising in the areas of business defamation, real estate, construction, banking and lending liability, professional liability, and insurance.
AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell, Matt is rated by his peers at the highest level of professional excellence. This is a testament not only to his skills and ethics, but also to his dedication to achieving the best and most cost-effective results for his clients.
- Pohl, D.D.S. v. MH Sub I, LLC (N.D. Fla., Tallahassee), successfully obtained summary judgment on lack of creativity/originality in copyright case involving before/after dental photos, see 314 F.Supp.3d 1225
- Brandon v. Prince Rogers Nelson, Spike Lee and Warner Bros. Records (S.D. Fla., Miami), copyright infringement case in which plaintiff contended that the soundtrack to “Girl 6” infringed on a song he wrote many years ago; successful dismissal after two years of litigation.
- Triaxial Medical v. Internet Brands, Inc. (S.D. Fla., Fort Lauderdale), copyright infringement case involving medical text appearing on internet websites
- Compulife Software, Inc. v. One Resource Group Corp. (S.D. Fla, West Palm Beach), copyright infringement case involving life insurance quote engine (pending)
- J. Ross Publishing Co. v. Carkenord (S.D. Fla., West Palm Beach), copyright infringement case involving business textbook
- Turner Envirologic, Inc. v. Rolls-Royce Energy Syst., Inc. (S.D. Fla., Fort Lauderdale), copyright and trade secret case resulting in successful early dismissal.
- Somero Ent. v. Stoltzfus (M.D. Fla., Ft. Myers), patent case involving concrete hose pullers
- Atmos Nation v. All Rise Records d/b/a Got Vape (S.D. Fla., Fort Lauderdale), design patent/trade dress case involving vaporizers/e-cigarettes resulting in successful dismissal of case with prejudice.
- Atmos Nation v. AFG Distribution d/b/a Pulsar Vaporizers (S.D. Fla., Miami), design patent/trade dress case involving vaporizers/e-cigarettes (pending)
- Leading Edge Novelty, Inc. v. Target Corporation, et. al., (S.D. Fla., West Palm Beach), patent case resulting in a favorable early Markman claim construction ruling against infringement of a plaintiff's musical snow globe invention.
- Global Tech LED, LLC v. Hilumz International Corp. (M.D. Fla., Ft. Myers), patent case involving retrofit LED lighting kits
- Pappalardo v. Green Life Patents (M.D. Fla., Ft. Myers) patent inventorship dispute (pending)
- Silver Streak Trailer Co. v. Airstream Inc. (S.D. Fla., Ft. Pierce), represent Airstream in trade dress declaratory judgment action
- Valoro, LLC v. Valero Energy Corp. (S.D. Fla., Miami), trademark declaratory judgment and infringement counterclaim action resulting in successful discontinuation of plaintiff's use of confusingly similar name
- Lil' Joe Records v. Hobbs, (S.D. Fla., Miami), copyright and trademark case resulting in final judgment against founder of 2 Live Crew
- Rubenstein Law d/b/a/ 1-800-FL-Legal v. Friedman Law Associates d/b/a FL Legal Group (M.D. Fla., Tampa), trademark case involving 1-800-FL-Legal
- 1-800-411-I.P. Holdings, LLC v. Georgia Injury Centers, LLC (S.D. Fla., Fort Lauderdale), trademark case involving 1-800-411-PAIN
- Coach, Inc. v. Wagon Wheel Flea Market, Inc. (M.D. Fla., Tampa), trademark counterfeiting case involving “Coach” handbags
- Abercrombie & Fitch Trading Co. v. Surf Style Retail Mgmt. (S.D. Fla., Miami), trademark counterfeiting case involving famous Hollister seagull logo
- Yahav Ent. d/b/a the Alexander Hotel v. Beach Resorts Suites (S.D. Fla., Miami), successful dismissal of trademark infringement case involving “The Alexander” on Miami Beach
- Belen Jesuit Prep School v. Sportswear, Inc. (S.D. Fla., Miami), trial verdict in favor of client determining that use of school name on apparel did not infringe trademarks
- Vacation Nation, LLC v. Regency Towers Owners’ Association (N.D. Fla., Panama City), trademark case defending successful UDRP arbitration award involving regency-towers.net
- Honus Wagner Co. v. Hillerich & Bradsby Co. (S.D. Fla., Fort Lauderdale), trademark case involving “Honus Wagner” appearing on baseball bats
- Innovative Health Solutions, Inc. v. Dyansys, Inc. (M.D. Fla., Orlando), false designation of origin case involving “P-Stim” medical device (transferred to N.D. Cal)
- First Fashion USA, Inc. v. Best Hair Replacement Manufacturers, Inc. (S.D. Fla., Fort Lauderdale), obtained trial verdict in favor of hair replacement manufacturer
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review rated
- Daily Business Review's “2015 Most Effective Lawyers” Award in the Intellectual Property category
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA): Quarterly Journal Editorial Board (three-year term: 2017-2020)
- AIPLA: previous Appointee to Amicus Curiae Committee
- AIPLA: past-chair of Trademark Internet Committee
- AIPLA: 2015 Annual Meeting Programs Subcommittee Florida Bar, Intellectual Property Law Section: Annual Symposiums
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Florida (IPLAF)
- Past President
- Florida Bar, Intellectual Property Law Section: Annual Symposium Subcommittee (past member)
- Federal Bar Association
- South Florida chapter
Broad and Cassel