Floyd R. Self
Floyd R. Self is Board Certified by The Florida Bar as an expert in State and Federal Government and Administrative Practice, and he is the Team Leader of the firm's Government and Regulatory Practice Group. He has a diverse state and local government and regulatory practice in the energy, telecommunications, water, and technology sectors. His practice includes administrative hearings, civil litigation, appeals, professional licenses, government acquisition and purchasing, anti-trust and anticompetitive conduct, business defense, lobbying, and land use.
Floyd’s clients have included natural gas local distribution entities, competitive telecommunications companies, natural gas pipeline transportation and suppliers, cable television providers, commercial mobile radio service providers, real estate developers, electric utilities, water and wastewater utilities, irrigation/reuse water systems, licensees, government contractors, business user groups, equipment and technology providers, county governments and special governmental entities, individual customers, and industry associations.
Floyd is the only Board Certified attorney who regularly practices before the Florida Public Service Commission. In addition to the PSC, his Florida practice includes the Supreme Court, the Division of Administrative Hearings, state regulatory boards and agencies including the Attorney General and Office of the Public Counsel, local government agencies and special districts, and the federal courts. His state utility regulatory practice in Florida and throughout the south and east includes rate setting, contract negotiation and disputes, certificates of need, interconnection, certification and registration, tariffs, pipeline, pole attachments, declaratory statements, show cause, performance measures and standards, anticompetitive conduct claims, and related regulatory matters. He is a frequent speaker on energy and public utility law issues and a facilitator for leadership and team building training.
- Provided legal analysis and an operational and regulatory process outline for a developer client for how to create a regulated Florida Public Service Commission natural gas utility.
- Developed a legal and operational strategy for a Florida county government in its ongoing disputes with a municipal electric utility on rates and services issues, and litigated those issues before the Florida Public Service Commission and the Florida Supreme Court.
- Negotiated electric utility territorial agreements and represented electric utility in obtaining Florida Public Service Commission approvals.
- Served as a Florida counsel for a diligence review for the acquisition of a Florida triple play telecom company, handling Florida Public Service Commission regulatory requirements and review of Florida real estate holdings, customer and vendor contracts, and pole attachment and collocation agreements.
- Represented a wireless carrier before multiple municipalities, counties, and the Florida Department of Transportation that was seeking to place small cell wireless monopoles in the public rights of way pursuant to federal and state law, including advocacy before the Florida League of Cities and the Florida County Attorneys’ Association.
- Successfully represented natural gas local distribution company in a fully litigated rate base/rate of return rate case before the Tennessee Public Utilities Commission, the first litigated rate case to ever be heard under the current part-time Commissioner statute.
- Represented interstate pipeline company in defeating first ever litigated intrastate pipeline certification petition under Florida law.
- Filed petition for an annual rate review under the Tennessee alternative regulatory methods statute, and successfully negotiated a settlement of the case approved by the Tennessee Public Utilities Commission.
- Ultimately settled, after extensively litigating jurisdictional and regulatory issues, a natural gas transportation agreement on behalf of a local natural gas distribution company with its largest customer.
- Defended a telecommunications company over multiple years and ultimately implemented a comprehensive settlement involving proceedings involving the Florida Public Service Commission, the Public Counsel, the Attorney General, a class action case, and Securities and Exchange Commission investigation with no findings of guilt or liability other than customer refunds.
- Litigated before and obtained authorization from the Georgia Public Service Commission for a wireless carrier seeking authority as an eligible telecommunications carrier (“ETC”) and authority for high-cost support.
- Prosecuted and ultimately settled an anti-trust case against a local exchange carrier on behalf of a broadband company on multiple counts of breach of interconnection agreement, fraud, and anticompetitive conduct.
- Represented local developer in creative resolution of complex easement and development dispute with adjoining property owners.
- Represented wireless carrier before Florida Public Service Commission in the first mobile interconnection case, resulting in substantially reduced rates and improved terms and conditions for wireless carriers interconnecting with local exchange companies.
- Served as the telephone industry spokesperson and coordinator for negotiating area code relief and number pooling implementation plans that successfully resolved telephone number exhaustion problems facing Florida consumers and telephone companies.
- Obtained declaratory statement for county government finding that local telephone company tariff did not prevent removal of telecommunications structure on county’s airport property or require reimbursement by the county for the cost of moving the structure.
- Represented Broward County (the airport) in a matter before the Florida Public Service Commission regarding a dispute over the relocation of BellSouth communications facilities due to runway expansion. Won the case for the County.
- Represented Volusia County in its implementation of jurisdiction over water and wastewater utilities operating within the county.
- Represented the City of Coral Gables before the Florida Supreme Court on the solar energy amendment.
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ rated
- Florida Trend, Legal Elite
- 850 Magazine, Best Lawyer
- Board Member, Energy Bar Association
- President, Southern Chapter of the Energy Bar Association, 2016-2017
- Board Member, Southern Chapter of the Energy Bar Association
- Member, Law360 Telecommunications Editorial Advisory Board
- Board Certified State and Federal Government and Administrative Practice Lawyer
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- The Florida Bar (Public Utilities Law Committee; Administrative Law Section; Government Lawyer Section; Environmental & Land Use Law Section)
- American Bar Association (Administrative Law Section; Public Utility, Communications and Transportation Law Section; Environment, Energy and Resources Law Section)
- Challenger Learning Center of Tallahassee Board of Directors, Past Chair
- Leadership Tallahassee Class 20 graduate
- Boy Scouts of America Southern Region Training Staff Leader
- Community Catalyst with the Knight Creative Communities Institute
- Youth Leadership Tallahassee Class 2 Curriculum Chair
- Leadership Tallahassee Class 24 Curriculum Chair
- Suwannee River Area Council Silver Beaver award for outstanding service to youth
- Leadership Tallahassee Board of Governors, Past Chair
- Greater Tallahassee Area Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- Boy Scout Scoutmaster, National Jamboree Scoutmaster, and Philmont Crew Advisor
- Messer, Caparello & Self, P.A.
- Gonzalez Saggio & Harlan LLP