Heidi Howard Tandy
Heidi Tandy is a partner in Berger Singerman’s Miami office. Board Certified by The Florida Bar in Intellectual Property Law, Heidi has over twenty years of experience. Heidi has handled matters involving the internet, social media, privacy, intellectual property and tech law issues, for large and small corporate clients and individuals, from retail stores to groundbreaking online content creators, as well as hotels, restaurants, jewelry designers, educators, podcasters, website and app developers, novelists, theatrical producers and an Emmy-award winning makeup artist. She’s worked with content creators, technology builders, individual business owners, and large corporations to successfully protect websites, apps, copyrights and trademarks. Since the 1990s, Heidi’s work has included the creation of terms of service and privacy policies and best practices, as well as creating website accessibility policies and general internet policies and procedures for companies such as The Bump, the Organization for Transformative Works and Delivery Dudes. Heidi Tandy has filed hundreds of trademark applications, litigated before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and in federal and Florida courts, created and negotiated license agreements and assignments, and protected the rights of clients around the world.
- Managed hundreds of trademark applications filed with the U.S. Trademark Office.
- Achieved confidential settlements in matters involving alleged trademark infringement.
- Defeated Summary Judgment motion at Trademark Trial and Appeal Board by demonstrating extensive issues of dispute between the parties.
- Convinced the Trademark Office to determine that a mark initially deemed “highly descriptive” had acquired distinctiveness, and was registerable on the Principal Register.
- Successfully negotiated a settlement agreement that obligated a junior user to cease use of a mark that was likely to be confused with the client’s mark.
- Created policies in line with GDPR regulations for corporations and nonprofits
- Successfully defended client in a matter involving a baseless accusation of noncompliance by a website with the ADA by filing a Motion to Dismiss which resulted in the Plaintiff withdrawing the complaint with prejudice.
- Created policies for website community management and social media content creation.
- Developed process for client to determine whether content creation made fair use of third party images and text.
Member of Legal Committee for Archive of Our Own, Winner of the Best Related Work Hugo Award, 2019
• Price Benowitz, LLP
• Gunster Yoakley
• Carlton Fields
• Ruden McClosky
• Stroock & Stroock & Lavan