Jeffrey R. Margolis
Jeffrey Margolis is a member of Berger Singerman's Executive Committee and part of of the Business, Finance, and Tax Team in Fort Lauderdale. Jeff has an illustrious background representing and advising real estate owners, developers, investors, and managers in a colorful variety of transactional real estate matters (both residential and commercial). He counsels clients on all angles of creating, structuring, and operating large-scale real estate projects, condominiums, mixed-use projects, hotels, and retail establishments, among others.
Jeff’s driving core principle is a belief that his hard-won legal knowledge should be shared freely with clients and colleagues — especially by way of pro-bono work for underrepresented groups. He has championed various interests such as Holocaust survivors seeking reparations, undocumented juvenile immigrants pursuing legal status in the U.S., and disabled veterans lobbying for Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC). Jeff considers his success in advocating for these groups to be one of his most significant achievements.
Thanks to Jeff’s openness, fledgling attorneys instinctively understand that they can come to Jeff for advice any time. He proudly follows the achievements of dozens of brilliant people he has trained and mentored, including one particular mentee who he hired straight out of law school. Under his guidance, that mentee has blossomed into a successful partner at Berger Singerman.
Jeffrey enjoys the collaborative nature of his work at the firm, both with his colleagues and his clients. He is dedicated to supporting his clients through every stage of their legal proceedings and tailors his approach to each case to fit their unique needs and values. Honest feedback is fundamental to Jeff’s mission; he works tirelessly not only to provide excellent legal counsel but to become each client’s trusted advisor.
As the business day comes to a close, a three-pronged rule of thumb in Jeffrey’s office is that all calls get returned, that all emails get answered, and that the team takes time to celebrate any client’s success.
- Representation of leading national and regional real estate developers of condominiums, planned developments and mixed-use projects including active adult communities under the Fair Housing Act, marinas and waterfront communities, golf course communities and country clubs in various aspects of real estate development including regulatory matters, development, structuring and documentation.
- Representation of developers of large-scale residential and mixed use projects such as Minto Communities, Stiles Corporation, Lowell Homes, the Rockefeller Group, Label & Co. Developments, and Century Homebuilders in matters concerning the planning, acquisition, development, design, structure, creation, construction and operation of small- and large-scale residential and mixed-use condominiums and planned developments, including drafting and customizing condominium and homeowners association documents.
- Representation of developers on matters related to the Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act, including preparing property reports in accordance with the Act, as well as registrations with state governmental agencies.
- Representation of real estate developers and investors in both the acquisition and sale of real property ranging from small local transactions to complex multi-state transactions, including due diligence, title and survey review, addressing complex title issues, and drafting and negotiating contracts and other documentation for projects including Villas on Antique Row, Villas By The Sea Condominium, Miramar Town Center, Provence, Isles at Doral, Artesia, LakePark at TownPark, Hideaway Cove Condominium, Century Gardens, Century Gardens Village, and Centra.
- Representation of purchasers as well as sellers in bulk sales and acquisitions of distressed condominium projects, including handling successor-developer filings and related issues.
- Representation of manufacturer in the acquisition of manufacturing and plant facilities, including working through environmental issues with state and local authorities.
- Representation of property owners and property-owner associations in negotiations of telecommunication agreements and antenna leases.
- Representation of lenders in commercial foreclosure and lending matters, including representation of lender in the foreclosure of a Florida hotel.
- Representation of institutional investors and equity funds in transactions and acquisitions cumulatively exceeding $1 billion.
- Representation of institutional investor in the acquisition, closing, development and sale of developed lots in Palm Beach County, Florida including due diligence to determine the necessary steps to fully entitle the property and negotiation of a management agreement with a third-party manager to handle the day-to-day management, operation and development of the property.
- Represented joint venture in the development, structuring and documentation for mixed-use, town center development in Miramar Florida which includes residential, office, retail and governmental uses as well as parking garages structured and documented as condominiums.
- Represented a national homebuilder in the formation of community development districts (CDD’s) including negotiating structure and terms of the districts with local and state governmental authorities, preparing petitions, and handling the public hearing process.
- Representation of private equity fund in the acquisition and closing of undeveloped but partially entitled land including the transfer of development agreements, low income housing credits, and impact fee credits.
- Representation of institutional investors with respect to joint-venture acquisitions of a shopping centers throughout the State of Florida in excess of $500 million.
- Representation of lender in the bulk sale of more than 50 condominium units and the bulk sale of promissory notes for the remaining inventory of units as well as assisting the developer in turning over control of the condominium association to unit owners.
- Representation of international developer relating to waterfront development in Costa Rica consisting of townhomes, villas, single-family homes, and condominiums with respect to compliance with U.S. laws for marketing and selling foreign properties within the U.S. including the Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act, individual state registration laws, and broker licensing and registration matters.
- State counsel for residential real estate developer with respect to sales documentation for condominiums and planned developments throughout the State of Florida including preparation of all sales documentation for condominiums and planned development.
- Represented hospitality holding company in negotiating the acquisition of 250 room luxury boutique hotel branded with a national flag the including which included negotiating a first and second mortgage financing and a new franchise agreement.
- Represented Hunter Harp Holdings in negotiating the sale of Hotel Duval in Tallahassee, a 117-room, Marriott-branded luxury boutique hotel for $23 million to a private national hotel operator including negotiating the purchase and sale agreement, negotiating two separate franchise terminations with Marriott hotels and Shula’s restaurant, and leading the negotiations with the franchisors for new agreements with the new owner. This fast-track transaction was completed in a timely fashion to accommodate the football season revenue the hotel generates due to Florida State University’s season.
- Represented developer in acquisition of 13 acre parcel of land within a 618 acre development of regional impact including negotiation of purchase agreement conditioned upon the seller acquiring the property; land use, zoning, and entitlement due diligence; survey and title review and resolution of matters relating to access to the property; post-closing development obligations as well as post-closing infrastructure development by governmental improvement district and utility companies; homeowners association documents; drainage easements; assignment of agricultural lease; assignment of developer rights; amendment to DRI development documents to allow development of 375 unit apartment complex; and post-closing agreements obligating the seller to complete or cause completion of infrastructure improvements.
- Board of Directors and General Counsel, Builders Association of South Florida (BASF)
- Member, Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- Member, The Florida Bar Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Condominium and Planned Development Committee
- Appointed Member, Fidelity Commercial Real Estate Council
- Appointed Member, Florida Home Builders Association, Political Action Committee
- Pro bono representation of Holocaust survivors seeking reparations and compensation from the German government under the German Ghetto Work Payment Program for work performed in ghettos in German occupied areas, representation undocumented juvenile immigrants in removal proceedings in immigration court seeking to obtain legal status in the United States, representations of veterans seeking combat related special compensation (CRSC) through the National Veterans Legal Services Program, and representation of Haitians seeking to complete temporary protected status applications in the wake of the Haitian earthquake disaster through the Florida Immigrant Advocacy Center
- Member, University of Miami Inter-American Law Review Alumni Advisory Board
- Duane Morris LLP
- Eckert Seamans Cherin & Mellott, LC