Joseph P. Jones
Joseph Jones has a broad background in commercial real estate development, finance and real estate litigation. As counsel to lenders, developers, multifamily, student housing and condominium developers, title insurance companies, commercial landlords, and construction and management companies, Joe has transacted and litigated throughout all phases of acquisition, development, construction, leasing and operation of thousands of multifamily units, millions of square feet of commercial space and countless acres of raw land.
On the transactional side, Joe has extensive experience in negotiating and documenting real estate purchase and sale transactions; structuring and documenting the acquisition and development of multifamily, condominium, commercial and large-sale residential projects; and working with local, state and federal governmental authorities on zoning, land use and permitting matters. Joe has represented purchasers, sellers, borrowers, and lenders in transactions involving CMBS, mezzanine, joint venture, private equity, international equity, syndication, HUD and conventional financing. Joe is also a title agent who learned the intricacies of the industry by abstracting and drafting his own title commitments. Since then, Joe has written significant amounts of claims free coverage with most major underwriters.
Following early on career advice of the importance of mastering the transactional side before undertaking litigation matters, Joe parlayed his significant transactional experience into a narrowly focused real estate litigation practice. Joe regularly appears in both state and federal courts, where he handles complex real estate disputes representing lenders, borrowers, title insurance companies, developers, landlords and tenants in all manner of disputes, but primarily focusing on title, encumbrance, and priority claims; contract and business organization claims; land use and permitting disputes; distressed asset litigation; and debt restructuring.
- Represented a large Fortune 200 privately held convenience store chain with more than 800 locations in the Southeast. The representation included merger and acquisition transactions, franchise acquisitions, single site development, ground and build to suit leasing transactions and all manner of permitting and licensing as required by state and local authorities for the operation of the stores.
- Serves as outside general counsel to a regional multifamily and student housing development and management company and advises and participates in all aspects of the operation.
- Founding Director and General Counsel of a north Florida community bank.
- Florida's Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2009
- Legal Aid Society of North Florida
- Pop Warner Little Scholars
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- Dizzy Dean Youth Athletics
- Children's Home Society of North Central Florida, Board Member
- Broad and Cassel
- United States Marine Corps