Lewis M. Killian Jr.
Lewis M. Killian, Jr. is a member of Berger Singerman’s Business Reorganization Team. He has successfully completed certification to become a Circuit Civil mediator in Florida, as well as the American Bankruptcy Institute 40 hour bankruptcy mediation training program.
For more than 25 years, Lewis served as the Chief Bankruptcy Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Florida. A resident of Tallahassee, he was first appointed by the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals as U.S. Bankruptcy Judge for the District on September 22, 1986, and on September 22, 2000, he was reappointed for a second term. During his time on the Bench, Lewis had been the sole Bankruptcy Judge in the Northern District which had required him to regularly travel to hold hearings in each of the four divisions: Gainesville, Tallahassee, Panama City, and Pensacola.
Prior to his judicial appointment, Lewis served for 10 years as an officer in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam conflict, including a tour in Viet Nam, where he received several military awards and decorations. He retired from the Army Reserve with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, JAGC.
- New Wave Loans
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2017-2022
- Best Lawyers, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor/Rights Lawyer of the Year (Tallahassee), 2019
- The Florida Bar, Business Law Section, Executive Council
- Bankruptcy Judges Advisory Group
- National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges
- Judicial Relations Committee
- Judicial Orientation & Benefits Committee
- Legal Aid Foundation Tallahassee, Board of Directors
- Girl Scout Council of the Apalachee Bend, Board of Directors
- Vestry of Holy Comforter Episcopal Church, Board of Directors
- School Board for Holy Comforter Episcopal School, Board of Directors
- Tallahassee Sunrise Rotary Club, President
- Paul Harris Fellow
- Florida State University College of Law, Adjunct Professor of Bankruptcy Law
- Ervin, Varn, Jacobs, Odom & Kitchen, P.A.