Robert W. Barron
Robert W. Barron is a Florida-based business attorney with significant experience with real estate asset and financing transactions, corporate acquisition and disposition transactions, and business and debt restructurings.
Robert has significant experience in real estate asset transactions involving multifamily/apartments, condominium projects, shopping centers, office buildings, hotels, industrial properties and undeveloped land and the trading in debt secured by these types of assets. Robert represents borrowers and lenders in real estate mortgage financing transactions, including representing borrowers in commercial mortgage backed securities (CMBS) loans. He also represents buyers and sellers in the acquisition and disposition of commercial real estate assets.
Within the commercial real estate industry, Robert represents clients with the acquisition and disposition of office, industrial, multifamily properties, luxury and near-luxury hotel properties and the negotiation of leases, property management agreements and hotel management contracts. He represents lenders and borrowers in commercial real estate loan transactions and workouts (including defeasance opportunities) as well as owners and developers in connection with leasing transactions, construction projects and related construction and architect agreements.
Robert assists clients with the negotiation, formation, and restructuring of complex corporate, limited partnership and LLC structures for corporate and real estate asset transactions, including and the structuring and negotiation of shareholder agreements, limited partnership agreements and LLC operating agreements and the negotiation and settlement of internal disputes among shareholders, partners and LLC members.
Robert has significant experience with acquisitions and dispositions of corporate businesses (including portfolio companies and subsidiaries), venture capital investment and investment partnership transactions, formation and capitalization of corporations, limited partnerships or limited liability companies and asset-based corporate financing for businesses. Robert represents corporate clients with their on-going corporate and operational matters, including, corporate governance issues and the structuring, preparation and negotiation of employment agreements, non-competition agreements, severance agreements, confidentiality, distribution, sales, license, manufacturing and other general business contracts.
He represents clients involved in distressed corporate and partnership restructuring transactions – representing from time to time either the buy side or the sell side – whether in connection with a bankruptcy proceeding (including the representation of debtors or purchasers in Section 363 asset auction transactions in connection with a bankruptcy proceeding) or outside of the bankruptcy process. Robert works closely with the Business Reorganization Team of the Berger Singerman in connection with such restructuring matters. He has worked with borrowers, guarantors and lenders in working out or restructuring distressed loans with an aggregate outstanding balance in excess of a billion dollars.
Robert also advises not for profit companies, educational organizations and other charities in connection with the use of entrepreneurial strategies to obtain capital and to accomplish their mission and purpose, including through the use of program related investments provided by private foundations and funds provided by donor advised funds.
- Representation of land owner in the negotiation and sale of 3,700 continuous acres in Palm Beach County, Florida.
- Representation of the owner of approximate 2,300 acre resort property located in Costa Rica in connection with modification of its existing financing arrangements.
- Representation of physician medical practice in connection with the sale of the practice through an asset transaction and the negotiation of a physician employment agreement.
- Representation of beneficial owners of Texas refinery in connection with the sale of the refinery.
- Representation of real estate partnerships and LLCs in connection with the refinance of various mortgage loans using CMBS lenders for the refinancing.
- Representation of owner of commercial office/retail building in connection with the refinance of its existing mortgage financing using a CMBS mortgage loan.
- Representation of property owners obtaining "hard money" loans to facilitate the quick refinancing of real property to meet the time constraint requirements of the existing lenders.
- Representation of lender providing construction and mini-permanent financing for the construction of a commercial office building.
- Representation of owner in connection with the construction of a port facility in Barbados using FIDIC construction contracts.
- Representing of owner in connection with a port dredging contract off the coast of Bermuda using FIDIC construction contracts.
- Representation of owners in the negotiation and drafting of AIA construction contracts with contractors and construction managers in connection with a construction project.
- Representation of owners in the negotiation and drafting of AIA architect agreements with architects in connection with a construction project.
- Representation of development company and property owner in connection with the negotiation of a development agreement with an investor to locate, develop, construct, lease and sell apartment communities.
- Representation of distributor in connection with the negotiation and drafting of a distribution agreement.
- Representation of licensee in connection with the negotiation and drafting of a license agreement.
- Representation of borrowers, sellers and/or buyers as local Florida counsel to provide local Florida law assistance for the transaction.
- Representation of borrowers in connection with the review of loan documents to provide Florida third party legal opinions in connection with the closing of loan transactions to the extent appropriate under applicable Florida Bar customary practice.
- Modification of existing Florida limited liability company operating agreements to address issued presented by the new Revised Florida Limited Liability Company Act.
- Representation of various homebuilders and real property developers with indebtedness exceeding hundreds of millions of dollars in connection with restructuring transactions.
- Serve as title agent for major title insurance companies to arrange for the provision of title insurance in connection with the closing of real estate transactions.
Awards & Honors
- Daily Business Review, Winner, Top Dealmaker Award: Leasing, 2014
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Corporate Law and Real Estate Law, 2014-2019
- Best Lawyers' 2019 Corporate Lawyer of the Year (Fort Lauderdale)
- Daily Business Review, Finalist for Top Dealmakers Award, 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell, Top Rated Lawyer in Corporate Restructuring and Bankruptcy, 2013
- Chapter 11 Reorganization of the Year (Middle Market) for HearUSA, M&A Advisor’s 6th Annual Turnarounds Awards (2012)
- Daily Business Review, Finalist for Most Effective Lawyer Award in Bankruptcy, 2011
- Florida Trend, Legal Elite, 2006 – 2008, 2010-2011, 2013
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyer, Commercial Real Estate and Corporate Transactions, 2007-2016
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2007-2018
- Real Estate Florida, Top Real Estate Lawyer in the State of Florida, 2008
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ rated
- Salute to Business Award from the Chamber for activities related to Leadership Fort Lauderdale, 2006
Community Activities / Associations
- Member of the Board of Trustees, Oral Roberts University, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Chairman of Finance Committee; Member of the Executive Committee of Oral Roberts University
- Member of the Board of Directors, Henderson Behavioral Health, the largest, community-based not-for-profit behavioral healthcare system in South Florida
- Board of Governors, Health Professions Division, Nova Southeastern University; Dean's Leadership Council, Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Member of the Ambassadors Board - Nova Southeastern University (2013- present)
- Business Law Section of The Florida Bar
- Executive Council (2006-present)
- Chair of Corporations, Securities and Financial Services Committee of the Business Law Section of the florida Bar - (2016 to present)
- Chair of Opinion Standards Committee of Business Law Section of the Florida Bar - (2013 to present)
- Vice Chair of Opinion Standards Committee of Business Law Section of Florida Bar - (2006-2013)
- Member of the Board of Directors of Habitat for Humanity of Broward, Inc.
- Member of the Advisory Board of Jim Moran Institute for Global Entrepreneurship at Florida State University
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP)
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Gamma Beta Phi Society
- Member of the Board of Directors of Tower Forum
- Member of Board of Elders - Two Rivers Church of South Florida - Cooper City, FL
- Former Chairman of the Board of the Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce (2010)
- Former Member of the Board of Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce
- Former Member of the Executive Committee and Finance Committee of the Chamber
- Leadership Florida Class XXI
- Leadership Fort Lauderdale - Curriculum Chair Class X
- Leadership Fort Lauderdale - Class VII
- Former Chair of the Advisory Committee, Leadership Fort Lauderdale
- Lifework Leadership
- Former Chairman of the Board of Directors of Sheridan Family Ministries, Inc., a local charity serving the needs of single mothers and troubled teenage children
- Former Member of the Board of Directors of Sheridan House Family Members, Inc.
- Former Member, Community Engagement Advisory Board, Trinity International University - Florida
- Former Member, Children's Bereavement Center Broward Advisory Board
- Former Member of the Board of Trustees, South Florida Chapter of Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- Thompson & Knight LLLP - Dallas, Texas
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges - Dallas, Texas