Christopher Andrew Jarvinen
Christopher Andrew Jarvinen is a partner on the Business Reorganization Team in Miami. His practice focuses on handling chapter 11 cases, cross-border insolvency matters, out-of-court restructurings and bankruptcy-related litigation. Christopher’s extensive experience has equipped him to provide clients in a diverse range of industries with value-added, cost-effective solutions for complex, business and litigation, challenges arising in the context of financially-distressed situations, corporate restructurings, and contentious bankruptcy proceedings.
Christopher has served as debtor’s counsel to large public and private companies, including:
- Unipharma, LLC (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a healthcare packaging company serving the pharmaceutical and nutraceutical sectors in the development, manufacturing, and packaging of liquid, disposable and single-dose units.
- Just One More Restaurant, Inc. (Bankr. M.D. Fla.) – the owner of the intellectual property for the iconic “The Palm” – one of the most well-known steakhouse brands and high-end restaurant groups in the U.S. and Mexico.
- Simply Fashion Stores, Ltd. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a retail chain of approximately 250 stores providing affordable clothing options for urban women.
- Allen Systems Group, Inc. (Bankr. D. Del.) – a global provider of mission-critical enterprise information technology solutions (pre-filing bankruptcy counsel).
- Maguire Group Holdings, Inc. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a cross-border provider of architectural, engineering, planning, and construction management services.
- Progressive Molded Products, Inc. (Bankr. D. Del.) – a Canadian-based, international automotive interior subsystem supplier.
- Interliant, Inc. (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.) – a provider of information technology services.
Christopher has extensive experience representing official committees of unsecured creditors, including:
- Goodman & Dominguez, Inc. (d/b/a “Traffic Shoes”) (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a multi-regional retailer of women’s shoes and apparel.
- Stemtech International, Inc. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a direct-marketer of nutritional products.
- PJ Finance Company, LLC (Bankr. D. Del.) – the owner and operator of 33 residential apartment complexes located throughout the U.S.
- Extended Stay Inc. (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.) – an international chain of extended stay hotels.
- Montgomery Ward, LLC (Bankr. D. Del.) – a national retail chain.
- Filene’s Basement, Inc. (Bankr. D. Mass.) – a national retail chain.
Christopher’s significant receiver, chapter 11 trustee and plan trustee representations includes:
- the plan trustee appointed in Taylor, Bean & Whitaker Mortgage Corp. (Bankr. M.D. Fla.) – the largest independent mortgage lender in the U.S.
- the court-appointed chapter 11 trustee in Rothstein Rosenfeldt Adler P.A. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a law firm in which a Ponzi-scheme in excess of $1.2 billion was run by Scott Rothstein through his operation of the debtor.
- the receiver in Florida Gaming Centers, Inc. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a casino operator.
- the plan trustee appointed in American Home Mortgage Holdings, Inc. (Bankr. D. Del.) – the 10th largest U.S. originator, servicer, and seller of mortgage loans.
Christopher regularly represents major parties involved in chapter 15 ancillary cross-border cases, including:
- a party involved in a complex multi-jurisdictional litigation in Banco Santos, S.A. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a Brazilian bank in liquidation that operated a Ponzi scheme.
- the secured lender in World Financial Group, Inc. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a holding company formed in the BVI.
- a party in Varig Logistica S.A. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a Brazilian company that was engaged in the business of providing cargo air support.
- a secured creditor in Independência S.A. (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.) – a Brazilian beef exporter.
- the secured creditor in W.C. Wood Corp., Ltd. (Bankr. D. Del.) – a Canadian manufacturer of refrigerators and other white goods.
Christopher has been in many other notable bankruptcy cases, including representing:
- a leading provider of integrated software, data, and analytics solutions in Ditech Holding Corporation (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.) – an independent servicer and originator of mortgage loans and servicer of reverse mortgage loans.
- the prepetition agent for the first-tier lending group in One Aviation Corporation (Bankr. D. Del.) – a company that designs and manufactures very light jets.
- the hotel condominium association in Elcom Hotel & Spa, LLC (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a five-star hotel and residential condominium complex.
- the secured creditor in Decorator Industries, Inc. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a national designer, manufacturer, and retailer of interior furnishings.
- the secured creditor in Maysville, Inc. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – the owner of apartments and condominium complexes.
- a French hedge fund and a Canadian retirement fund in SPhinX, Ltd. (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.) – a hedge fund registered in the Cayman Islands.
- a corporation that had sold its automobile and industrial friction products business to a predecessor-in-interest of Federal-Mogul Global, Inc. (Bankr. D. Del.) - an international manufacturer of auto parts and systems.
- American College of Bankruptcy - Fellow
- International Insolvency Institute - Fellow
- American Law Institute - Member
- American Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Leading Individual in Bankruptcy/Restructuring by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2014-2018 (Band 3); (2020-2021 (Band 2))
- Lawdragon 500 US Bankruptcy and Restructuring Lawyers, 2020
- Lawdragon 500 Global Bankruptcy and Restructuring Lawyers, 2020
- J. William Fulbright Scholarship Board (U.S. Department of State) – Senior Fulbright Specialist: Bankruptcy Law and Restructuring Research Center of the China University of Political Science and Law
- 11th Annual M&A Advisor Turnaround Awards - Served as debtors' counsel for, and won, the award for "Consumer Discretionary Deal of the Year" with respect to the chapter 11 bankruptcy case of Simply Fashion Stores, Ltd. (2017)
- 10th Annual M&A Advisor Turnaround Awards - Served as pre-filing debtors' counsel for, and won, the award for "Technology Restructuring of the Year" with respect to the chapter 11 bankruptcy case of Allen Systems Group, Inc. (2016)
- 7th Annual M&A Advisor Turnaround Awards - Served as lead counsel for, and won, the award for "Chapter 11 Reorganization of the Year (between $10mm to $250mm)" for reorganizing Maguire Group Holdings, Inc. (2013)
- National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges (NCBJ) - Class 2 of the "Next Generation Program" (2012)
- International Insolvency Institute (III) - Class I of the III "NextGen Leadership Program" (2012)
- Vice Chairperson, Lawyers Advisory Committee (U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida)
- Founder and Co-Chair of Claims Trading Committee, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member of Advisory Board, American Bankruptcy Institute - New York City Bankruptcy Conference
- Member of Advisory Board, International Cross-Border Insolvency Program – New York
- Member of Organizing Committee (2006-Present) and Past Chair (2012-2015), American Bankruptcy Institute - Caribbean Insolvency Symposium
- Co-Founder, Current Member, TMA Brasil; Former Ambassador of TMA-Brasil to the TMA (U.S.)
- Former Official Liaison to the Ordem dos Advogados do Brasil, American Bar Association (2009-2011; 2013-2014)
- Former Board of Editors, International Corporate Rescue (2006-2017)
- Former Leadership Council, Harvard Divinity School (2010-2015)
- Member, Lambda Legal - Nonprofit national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and everyone living with HIV
- Richards Kibbe & Orbe LLP (n/k/a Crowell & Moring LLP); New York, N.Y. (partner)
- Hahn & Hessen, LLP (n/k/a Thompson Coburn LLP); New York, N.Y. (partner)
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, LLP; New York, N.Y. (associate)
- Kronish Lieb Weiner & Hellman, LLP (n/k/a Cooley LLP); New York, N.Y. (associate)