Katherine Amador is a partner in Berger Singerman’s Miami office and the co-lead of the Business, Finance & Tax Team. Katherine concentrates her practice in complex real estate acquisitions, dispositions and development, including multi-million dollar buy- and sell-side transactions, financing, commercial foreclosures and litigation.
On the deal side, Katherine has extensive experience in complex real estate transactions for both private and institutional clients, representing regional and international developers and investors in real estate acquisitions; negotiation of purchase and sale agreements; and sales and development matters including vacant land, multi-family and other commercial property. Katherine represents institutional lenders in commercial lending for various types of projects, and also represents both lenders and borrowers in loan work-outs and distressed business transactions, negotiating forbearance agreements, note sales and acquisitions and deed-in-lieu of foreclosure transactions. On the litigation side, she has represented clients in multi-million dollar commercial foreclosure matters and disputes involving purchase and sale contracts and options, secured loans, inter-creditor agreements and title matters. Lenders have sought Katherine’s advice and aid in enforcing their secured claims, including foreclosure, receivership, guaranty enforcement, as well as defending lender liability and bad faith claims.
A native Spanish speaker, Katherine represents Latin American investors, families and businesses seeking to invest in Florida and throughout the United States, including acquiring significant residential and commercial assets and the related due diligence. For these matters, she has handled the structuring of finance transactions, advising on corporate formation, and assisting with tax and estate planning. Katherine’s practice also focuses on cross-border transactions, advising clients throughout Latin America on corporate and commercial transactions as well as compliance matters. She has worked closely with top law firms in over fifteen Central and South American countries to assist firm clients in local matters.
- Represent Fortune Top 50 client throughout Central and South America in connection with general legal/business compliance issues, FCPA and the adherence to each country’s applicable laws pertaining to unfair trade, anti-monopoly, unfair competition, anti-corruption and anti-bribery.
- Represented Arcadia-based Orange-Co LP in the sale of 20,000 acres of citrus land in a $274 million deal.
- Represent homebuilders of large-scale residential projects in land acquisition and development matters.
- Represent real estate investors and developers in acquisition and sale of real property from small local transactions to multi-state transactions.
- Represented Latin American investors in multi-million dollar hotel and loan acquisition in the U.S.
- Counsel to a subsidiary of a private equity fund in the sale of a hotel and workout with bankrupt borrower in a transaction valued at $30 million dollars.
- Counsel to private equity funds in connection with Florida real estate matters.
- Negotiate commercial business and real estate loans on behalf of lenders and borrowers, drafting all relevant documents and post-closing agreements, serving as opinion counsel on a broad range of legal issues.
- Acquire distressed real estate on behalf of opportunity funds, including commercial paper pre- and post-foreclosure proceedings, and performing related due diligence, negotiating and drafting all relevant acquisition and closing documents.
- Advise trustees, receivers, and debtors-in-possession in managing and disposition of commercial real estate property.
- Represent lenders in every aspect of commercial real estate foreclosures, including prosecuting expedited foreclosure proceedings, defending lender-liability claims, coordinating FDIC special powers use, foreclosure sales, and post-judgment REO management and disposition.
- Negotiate and prepare commercial and residential leases on behalf of landlords and tenants.
- Represent plaintiffs and defendants in a broad range of general commercial litigation matters, including successful constitutional challenge to Florida Condominium Act.
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ rated, 2015
- South Florida Business Leader, Woman Extraordinaire, 2011
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Board of Directors
- Latin Builders Association, Board of Directors, Membership Chair
- Founder and First Chair of the Women of the Latin Builders Association Committee
- Hard Hats & High Heels, Habitat for Humanity Committee, 2016 & 2017
- Cuban American Bar Association
- The Florida Bar Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- American Bar Association